Saturday, June 11, 2005

fun time in the City

OK- I'm back! we had a great time but I'm sure paying for it.
We got lost on the way to start with. He had forgotten exactly where the Best Western was they stay at it. He knew he had to go through Alameda and then back into Oakland.
Well, because we got lost I got to see the closed down Alameda Navy base that was his home port when he was in the Navy.
My sister had stayed there too in base housing when her husband was in the Navy on the same ship, the Enterprise.
It was neat to see the area my sister haunted when she lived here. I wish she was speaking to me so I could tell her about it. ( that's a different story)
We stayed in Jack London square by the Bay and took the ferry over to SBC park to the game.
That was a nice experience. It was still daylight soIi got some pictures. Yes, I was the geeky tourist!
We arrived at the park to rain.
It has rained exactly 5 times on that date in June in San Fransisco in 155 years and lucky me I got to be in part of the history.
It normally doesn't rain here after May throughout the summer.
Let me tell you - it rained.
We of course didn't have an umbrella with us. The temp had dropped down to about 55 degrees and the wind was about 30 miles an hour.
It was cold.
Our seats were right over an overhang so it was out of the question to sit there. We stood until the top of the 4th inning under a little alcove and decided to take our chances and go to the top of the bleachers on the opposite side of the park.
When we got over there an usher told us to go ahead and pick out what seats we wanted. We laughed about the " upgrade".
The Giants lost but we still had fun all in all.
On the ferry ride back we got hot chocolate and were dreaming about the heater in the room!

The next morning we had breakfast and headed into the City. We parked about a good 15 minute walk from the park.The closer lots are for people who hold season tickets.
It was a nice sunny day but still windy.
Its a nice walk along the Embarcadero. The water is right there and the boulevards are very nicely landscaped.
We arrived at the park and had another 15 minute brisk walk up to the top again.
Our seats were in the sun so I got sunburned.
My back is killing me from all the walking and standing but it was still a great time. The Giants won that game by the way!
After each game they play Tony Bennet singing " I left my heart in San Fransisco".
It was great to get away for a couple of days and do something different.
At the day game there was a section of young boys maybe 8-10 years old that were a hoot.
Probably a little league team. They did the chants you hear at the little league games.
They would yell at the umpire.
One time when I expected them to yell it was silent. I looked over and they were all eating hot dogs!

The Golden Gate bridge was a magnificent sight. As we were on the Bay bridge you could look over and see the famous orange structure jutting out of the hills and over the water.

Bob and I both message into a phone chat group and everyone was messaging us the first night for updates and for me to report the scenery. They call me " GiantsQueen"! That isn't my handle but maybe I should change it.
Now, they want us all to get together next summer here for a reunion.
Here I am new to this area and they want me to play tour guide!

So here I am with my aching back and sunburned face and scalp yet I would do it all over again.

No comments: