Tuesday, June 14, 2005

soldier killed in Iraq

I belong to a chat room through my cell phone and have met some really interesting people.
In fact, thats how I met Bob.
Several ladies and I have chatted on the phone many times and have become part of each other's faimily.
I am sad to report that one of the ladies lost her brother-in-law this past Saturday.
He had just been home in May for a 2 week R&R and if there is any consolation I guess thats it.
He leaves behind a wife of 25 years and 3 sons, one of which was serving in his unit with him.
The son had just come home Friday afternoon for his 2 week R&R and his Dad was killed on Saturday.
A suicide bomber went off near the truck and blew up.
Another young man was also killed from a nearby town serving in the same unit.
The son is feeling the loss of his Dad as well as his leader; he is also feeling tremendous guilt over not being with his Dad at the time of the explosion. He is 21 years old; so much he's had to deal with at such a young age.
This is a Christian family so they will have their faith to sustain them but being human its not going to be easy.
When will this war end and when will the killing of our precious citizens end.
Any death is hard to grasp but the spoils of war are sickening to me.
My own son serves in the Navy and although I am so proud he serves his country I would be hard pressed to be consoled if he to lose his life for this cause.
I deeply feel for each family everytime I hear another life has been lost.
And I also feel for the ones who don't come back whole.
Everyone has their opinion and I have mine.
I know good things are being done over there to rebuild schools and infrastucture.
There is much still needing to be done.
Most people don't realize that the mail system is about non-existant over there so everyday people don't even have the mail to communicate.
I guess thank God for the internet for those that have access.
I know there is a bigger picture and I don't get to see it all and can only hope that some good comes out of this.
I remember Vietnam and I'm still trying to find the good that came of it.

No comments: