Sunday, August 03, 2003

Yesterday, Jennie, Keisha and I were in the car on our way to an outing and out of nowhere Keisha pipes up with " I'm scared to have a baby". Jennie looked at me and I looked at her like where did this come from?
So Jennie started talking to her and then she says, " No, I want my Nana to talk to me". So I saidok and she asked me if it would hurt to have a baby. I thought for a couple of seconds, I'm having a birds and bees talk with my 6 year old grand daughter so I got to get this right.
I answered her" Well Keisha, I wa going to tell you no it didn't hurt but that would be a lie and I never lied to my kids so I'm not going to lie to you. Yes it hurts but its also exciting and you are happy when you are having a baby.
She asked if I hurt when I had her Daddy. So I said yes a little bit; which was the truth. My labor with him was the easiest one I had. Then I said but I was so excited Keisha. I was wondering what my baby was going to be; if was going to be a girl or boy. I wondered what color hair it would have; if it would have a lot of hair or just a little bit. I wondered who it might look like. I wondered what his or her name would be.
She was quiet for a little while. Then she said again, I'm still scared. So Jennie said " well you don't have to think about it now because you are only six and you need to think about things 6 year old girls do.
She said she was scared because the doctor would have to cut your stomach open. Jennie had a ceasearean section with Keisha.
I told her not all the time did the doctor have to do it that way but when she was going to have a baby the doctor would know exactly the right way for her to have her baby. She wanted to know if she could go to sleep for it so I told her that would be one way.
Jennie needed to stop at Walgreen's and pick up a few things and while we were in waiting she started up again.
I decided to try a different method.
I told her there were so many things she needed to do before she could have a baby.
She had to go to college and get her job. She had to have a husband and go on at least two vacations without her Mom and Dad. She had to be able to eat spicy food. She had to be big enough to drive and own a car. She had to be able to drink beer and like it.
She had to be able to get a shot and not cry. She wanted to know if her husband would her hand and i said that would be oK.
I said she would have to have her own house. Dan added after we got home that she would have to get her hair washed without crying!
And then I told her couldn't even have a baby when she was 6. I told her God would know when it was the right time and He would help her know. Then she seemed satisfied. Whew!!!
She is in a stage that since she turned 6 she is big now and all the big girl things are supposed to be happening to her. I keep telling her she is bigger but she is not big.
Last night she told me " Nana, you're the best". I said to her " Thank you Keisha. I think that is the nicest thing someone has said to me in a long time. And you're the best too." She said " I'm the best artist ".
Grandkids are so much fun.

No comments: