Saturday, September 06, 2003

I had the appointment with the pain doc. He assessed that I did have fibromyalgia; also spurs on my vertebrea on my spine and something going on with the sychiatic (sp?). He precribed pain patches - 3 to be worn 12 hours a day, a newer muscle relaxer and an older anti-depressant that helps with pain manegement. I then had to go back in Thursday for a shot in my lower spine.
That was painful.
They have to numb the area first which gives you a heads up of what is coming. They are using some kind of X-ray equipment as they are going along. He knows when he hits the right spot because it is very painful. I don't know what the point of numbing you first is. It felt like the size of my fist clenching and on fire and you are supposed to be as calm as you can.
He said I did good.
The site still hurts today. I was told it can get worse before it gets better. I am not complaining just trying to be accurate.
I may not continue with the anti-depressant because I am way too groggy. It is a feeling of being on Valium.
I do not like the heavily sedated feeling some of these meds give me.
I go back in 3 weeks for a follow up visit and we will see if I need another shot.
If these methods do not work there is an alternative; they can cut the nerve endings so I don't feel anything. It is drastic but I may have to do it.

The house sold so we will be moving. I feel bad because in my present state I won't be a lot of help. Maybe by then I will feel a little better and can do more.
I have spent pretty much time since Thursday in bed. I hate being useless.
Its hard when you were the one who was the go-getter person. Inside me I still want to be that person. I've had to recognize I may never be her again and make the adjustments.

No comments: