Thursday, September 11, 2003

Today is the 2 year anniversary of 9/11. It is a day that all Americans will remember the rest of their lives.
We will always remember where we were, what we were doing, who we were with when we found out our way of life had changed forever.
I want to salute every service person who is out there somewhere in the world defending our freedom. I have the utmost gratitude and respect. And, I also wish to salute any service person who has ever worn the uniform to defend our freedom.
What can I say to the countless families whose family member gave the ultimate sacrifice?
It seems so hollow to say I am eternally grateful and humbled by their sacrifice and am in their debt. Thank you.
To my son, PJ, Paul I respect you for your choice and service.
I know only too well what it took to wear that uniform. I will always remember the choices you made along the way from the little boy to the teenager to the young man and the personal growth along the way.
I have loved you since before you were born and have only continued to love you along your journey to becoming a man in the truest sense.
Our relationship hasn't always been easy but its been worth it to me.
You were a gift to me and I treasure every day I am allowed to be your mother.
I have made mistakes but I've always loved you from the deepest part of my heart.
I remember the day you made the commitment to join the Navy and the grueling 2 hour exam I put the recruiter through.
And, I remember 2 years ago today when the reality and significance of YOU wearing the uniform hit me.
I had to go in and wake you up and tell you what was unfolding and that maybe you needed to call the recruiter to see if this meant you were going to have to leave sooner than planned.
As your MOm I wanted to take in my room and hide and keep you safe. As an American I knew I had to let you go.
The last time I saw you you were leaving to join your ship off of Afganistan.
Standing in the driveway as we were saying goodbye I put you in God's hands one more time and haven't looked back.
And God rewarded me by placing you on ship with one of the suppliers to Marisabel's son who was in communications and I got to keep up with what was going on every week.
That was a true blessing.
I am so proud of you son. I am proud of all the accomplishments you have made to get where you are today.
We will never see eye to eye to on certain things and I will piss you off the rest of your life and I will wish you communicated with me more and that is just how it is.
We have always had that kind of relationship so there is no sense wishing it were different
because you are you and I am me.
I appreciate that you are you.
Just know that today I am thinking of you as I do everday and include you in my prayers.
I salute you.

No comments: